Sleep Outfitters, a mattress retail chain with over 100 locations throughout the US in 17 markets in 2020 became a historical year unlike any other. The Covid-19 pandemic created economic headwinds, disrupting the retail supply chain, and permanently altering consumer shopping behavior and patterns.
With stores mandated to close and many people working from home, Sleep Outfitters needed to pivot the business from a primary brick and mortar revenue driven model and find new revenue streams. With that, the retailer transitioned into an e-commerce model. Virtual Outfitting allowed customers the ability to be mattress outfitted online in the comfort of their own home.
As their partner and agency, Revolution Media was quick and nimble, pivoting the holistic media plan to adapt to the Covid-era and new approach.
RMI did a deep dive into research and trends impacted by Covid-19 to uncover the latest in current media usage and consumption. Adjusting the overall media mix and realigning the goals was crucial in defining success:
- Research and identified current trends in present day Covid times
- Strategically plan optimal media mix
- Determined digital tactics to activate
- Use this as an opportunity to grow 1st Party Data & CRM list
- 62% of consumers shop online more now than before the pandemic
- Mobile Video & App Usage: As COVID remains a topic/concern, most consumers will continue to turn to their mobile device to find information, connect, and be entertained. This also means more apps being downloaded and used.
- 54% more TV streaming services
- 43% More time on social media
- 70% Spending more time on mobile phone
- Video formats like CTV and online video are on the rise.
After extensive research (eMarketer, Global Web Index, Nielsen, etc), RMI recommended a greater focus on digital media to promote Virtual Outfitting.
With that, the goals of digital media changed to drive website traffic while maintaining revenue during store closings.
The media mix evolved into:
- Expanded into Connected TV, capitalizing on the surge in streaming services such as Netflix/Prime
- Heavy up in mobile in-app display/OLV, and Social
- Recommended a unique landing page to track VO campaign specifically, with tagging implemented to follow the user journey to purchase and grow retargeting pool
Daily and weekly optimizations were made in real time as stores throughout the county had staggered re-opens and media needed to be in lock step along with multiple creative messaging rotations.
The campaign generated:
- 64% increase in click conversions
- 39% increase in website traffic
- ROAS doubled Week over Week on social
Overall, RMI delivered a successful campaign, driving both online sales, maintaining revenue during store closings, and drove brand awareness for Sleep Outfitters.